
My senses are awake and I find myself in a day dream of sorts. I can taste, hear, see, smell and feel the exotic island coming alive as I slice through her gentle breeze. The warmth of the golden sun peaks around the fire dried hills as I continue on a northward bound journey to Hawi. I've been down this cement path before. Many Ironman training days and the two races float in my mind as I pass certain points. Landscape seems the same but it's not. Dusty moon scape slowly turns to fire burnt crust exposing hidden layer of earth not often seen. Suck in a deep breath & you can smell old soot rotten trees naked in the morning sun. No signs of life surround my sights. Lava rocks find themselves sprinkled across my path. My bike seems to steer itself sensing its own danger. The hum of my wheels search for a hint of breeze. The click and clack of my gears change the audio landscape for moment. Climbing past Mahukona Park 7 miles to Hawi Town. Heart rate increases, salty drips slide across my sunglasses, body rises out of saddle on cue, breathing different air now, deeper breaths calm my heart, path steepens in front of me. Deep blue sea to my left, green pastures to my right. Morning breeze at my back as a helping hand up slope into Hawi. Sky is void of any puffy clouds only displaying her true colors, fitting for a perfect Hawaiian morning. Tour into Hawi town refresh my drinks. Push past town a few clicks turning towards charming old sugar plantation cottage style homes. Audio levels are different as morning takes on new meaning in this Hawaiian path towards summit. Dogs barking, doors slamming, cars starting, lawn mowers roaring, kids playing and the quintessential rooster proudly announcing morning is in full swing. Steep roadway leads to entrance of thick forest as I exit the heart crunching climb through the village. Road narrows as I pass over old Kohala Ditch thirsty for her morning drink which does not produce.
Surroundings squeeze in around me as leaning tree branches reach above my winding path searching for their companion on my left. Winds wisp past my ears with crisp moisture following. Sweat meanders its way across my face minus predetermined routes jumping from cheek to cheek. Legs begin to resist gravity cranking the easiest gear. Body jumps up again walking on my pedals now as I push past green laden moss.
I am grabbed by the scenery on this long and winding postcard road. My mind is awake, my legs are on auto pilot, my arms are my branches to handlebars while my fingers act as roots spread open clasping for a grip. Heart beat is pounding like marching band drums riveting your chest cavity as they pass by. Body is slick with moisture.
Road drops her right shoulder to reveal open grass land flowing to the sea below. Glancing left tells of an incline worthy of only four legged creatures. Slow motion perception overtakes my vision as I pass nothing to which would judge my speed. Summit is in view. I reach for it like a small child extending his arms to be lifted out of his crib. Once again, I'm embraced by the summit and one of my favorite bike rides.




12 comments:
OH nice ride! Totally would love to bike... coach has me on no riding for a week, thanks for the photos to share the journey. Hope you are happy today!
I once biked from Waimea to Hawi over the top. A lot of fog so did not see much higher up. The descent into Hawi was really beautiful.
oh my, what a beautiful story and incredible pics, thanks for sharing your ride!
AC
What a beautiful ride! You described it so well! Are you a Dolphin boy and a writer? :)
SO BEAUTIFUL! Awesome post, so happy you had an awesome ride too. Thanks for thinking of me ;-) Will write you later....
Sweet ride for both of us ;-) YAY!
E
play tag. I have cookies and bananas...
Nice recovery from block. I want to come train with you guys, that looks like a gorgeous ride.. I think I'll find me a road bike first though.
Pat play the tag game with us...this is getting boring. New post please.
Reading about your ride and seeing the pictures reminds me I should just be packing up and moving to someplace interesting and beautiful. Corn fields and bean fields are VERY boring to look at while riding!!
Beautiful Pictures- Great Post-
Wow DB.. you are quite the writer. You are also very fortunate to be able to have that landscape for riding. Way cool.
signed....
bubbled headed bleach blond who forgets where her spot is in transtion.
:-)
Please play the tag game. I guess I'm the one who should be drinking Guinness (being a Brit).
Post a Comment